BREAKING: Fire sparks evacuation of Portsmouth's South Parade Pier

VISITORS had to be evacuated from a pier Portsmouth's after a fire broke out.

Saturday, 11th November 2017, 3:22 pm
Updated Tuesday, 12th December 2017, 1:14 pm
A crash has led to delays on a major Portsmouth road

Fire crews from Southsea were called to South Parade Pier about 1.40pm this afternoon following reports of an electrical fire.

The minor blaze is believed to have sparked in a fuse box near the Deep Blue Restaurant.

Two crews some Southsea and an aerial ladder platform were dispatched.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

However, when they arrived the fire had already been extinguished, with pier staff having evacuated customers from the recently re-opened heritage site.

Mark Laskey, owner of Best of British Foods on the pier was there during the incident.

He said: ‘Everyone was evacuated for about 10 minutes. It was over pretty quickly. It’s all business as usual now though.’

Firefighters remained at the pier for about 40 minutes and used a fan to clear smoke from the restaurant.

They also treated one person at the scene for smoke inhalation before paramedics arrived.

Most of the pier has now re-opened, although its understood the Deep Blue Restaurant is closed.