Broken heater sparks fire brigade alert

Share this article
GONE Alan Burnett's picture of the 'wanton act of official vandalism'

LETTER OF THE DAY: Why tear up our Peace Garden?

Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS were called to a home after a woman could not turn off her wall heater.

The occupant of a property in Dursley Crescent, Wymering, has an old-style heater, which is turned on and off with a cord.

Firefighters say the cord was missing, so the woman turned the heater on through a fuse.

But then she could not turn it off again, even when turning off the fuse.

A burning smell caused her to call the service at 9.40pm on Saturday.

The appliance did not start a fire, but the resident was concerned the heater would not turn off.

The crew turned the fuse off, and checked the property was safe.

Firefighters were at the home for about 10 minutes.