BUSINESSES, schools and volunteers have been recognised for their efforts to help young people achieve their potential.
It came as scores of nominees gathered at Lakeside North Harbour on Tuesday evening for the return of the EBP South Amazing People Awards.
The popular fixture celebrated its 20th anniversary last year with a glitzy outing at The Solent Hotel and Spa and revellers were no less excited for its 2018 return.
The night saw 15 winners crowned after battling it out in 10 categories, having been selected from a shortlist of more than 40 nominees.
Among the victors were energy firm SSE, which was named Amazing Large Business who Supports Career Education, training and nurse consultants Hudson Blake, 2018’s Amazing SME who Supports Career Education and maintenance and construction company Mountyjoy – named Amazing Business Involved in Hosting or Participating Work Experience.
While not everyone left victorious organisers hailed everyone who attended for their dedication over the year – after EBP South recorded a whopping 57,000 volunteer hours put in across the Solent region since 2017’s ceremony.
Cath Longhurst, EBP South’s chief executive, dubbed the awards a ‘brilliant’ success.
‘Everyone enjoyed themselves and took the chance to celebrate the work of those who go over and above,' she said.
‘These awards are all about celebrating the amazing work people do across our area – in particularly businesses who give up their time, effort and patience to support young people. ‘the schools who are committed to making a difference to what happens to young people when they leave school.
‘And of course, young people themselves. We’ve had some amazing young people on work experience here and many on our mentoring programme who have gone on to do great things when they leave school at 16.’
She added: ‘I'd like to say a huge thank you, not just from me, but all the people involved in bringing these awards together.
‘Everyone shortlisted and everyone who won was there because they’re making a difference.’
FULL LIST OF WINNERS:
- Embecosm – Amazing Business of the Year in a Long Term Partnership with a School (Sponsored by Hampshire Chamber of Commerce)
- SSE – Amazing Large Business who Supports Career Education (Sponsored by EBP South)
- Hudson Blake – Amazing SME who Supports Career Education (Sponsored by University of Portsmouth)
- BAM Construction - Gower South for University of Southampton – Amazing Business promoting Careers in STEM (Sponsored by Portsmouth Water)
- City Catering Southampton – Amazing Business Involved in Hosting or Participating Work Experience (Sponsored by Lakeside North Harbour)
- Mountjoy Ltd – Amazing Business Involved in Hosting or Participating Work Experience (Sponsored by Lakeside North Harbour)
- Paul Mitchell – Amazing Business Ambassador (Sponsored by Kingfisher)
- Colin Young MBE – Amazing Mentor (Sponsored by Kingfisher)
- GFM: Gomer Junior School (in Gosport) – Amazing Educational Establishment of the Year (Sponsored by BAE)
- Fred Sims – Amazing Student (Sponsored by BAM)
- Melissa Auld – Amazing Student (Sponsored by Portsmouth College)
- Kai Goddard – Amazing Student (Sponsored by Portsmouth College)
- Cameron King – Amazing Student (Sponsored by Wartsilla)
- Maison Way – Amazing Student (Sponsored by Wartsilla)
- Simon Howlett – (Longstanding Achievement Award)