A COUNCILLOR is calling for action after a motorcyclist died at a junction in his ward.
Nick Gregory, councillor for Fareham West, has made the call after much-loved grandmother Julie Corben, 55, died on Monday, June 15 when her motorbike crashed at a junction in The Avenue shortly after 1pm.
Cllr Gregory, who owns a children’s nursery along the same road, said: ‘Unless this issue is addressed then more accidents will happen.
‘Unfortunately, a lady has lost her life and it is not the first time that the air ambulance has had to land there.’
He said the sequencing on the lights is dangerous, with traffic released from one set of lights to be met with another set on red only a short distance away.
Cllr Gregory said this caused people to speed up through the lights, only to be forced into a filter lane, potentially causing crashes.
I’ve been fighting for five years to make this road safer. There is a fundamental issue with the traffic light sequence.Fareham West ward councillor Nick Gregory
He added that a new pedestrian crossing outside his nursery Little Munchkins at the end of the filter lane has already been hit by a car as it is not very visible. It has an island in the middle of the road, which he said was dangerous.
He said: ‘If a car or motorcyclist hit that island then it would throw them in the air.
‘I’ve been fighting for five years to make this road safer. There is a fundamental issue with the traffic light sequence.’
Cllr Gregory, who is an independent councillor, said his fellow ward councillor Tory Leslie Keeble had also raised issues with the sequence of the light several times over the past few years.
They both want to see Hampshire County Council, which looks after the county’s roads, carry out a full investigation into how the fatal incident happened and to look at making the road safer.
Jodie Corben, daughter of Julie, said the family wants to see action taken.
She said: ‘We have been to that junction a lot since the accident just to watch it and it isn’t safe at all.
‘It is a dodgy junction. It needs a whole new layout for it to be made safe.’
Cllr Sean Woodward, executive member for transport at the county council, said that the authority would be holding an investigation after the police had concluded theirs and an inquest had been held.
He said: ‘It was a terrible tragedy but we have to wait to see the results of the other investigations.
‘There does not seem to be a great deal of witnesses to what happened, so I’d encourage them to come forward.’
A police spokesman said the investigation was ongoing and they had taken witness statements following an appeal but they encouraged people who saw the crash to get in touch.
Call police on 101, quoting ref 44150202487.