MORE than half of house fires in West Sussex start in the kitchen, according to new figures.
Of the 828 accidental fires in the home West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service attended between April 2009 and September 2010, 59 per cent started in the kitchen.
Now firefighters are urging people to take extra care when cooking, not drink alcohol or cook when they are tired and check cookers and hobs are turned off and not leave them unattended.
Roger Wood, head of community fire and road safety, said: ‘Sometimes just the smallest lapses of concentration can have devastating consequences and what is frustrating is that so many of these fires could easily have been avoided.
‘We understand how busy people’s lives are and that there can be a multitude of distractions, but regardless of what is going on around you, please don’t leave your pan or grill unattended.’