It’s going to be safer
Work starts on Monday to resurface the eastbound carriageway of the A27 between Havant and Chichester.
It comes after a high-profile campaign led by The News and Chichester Observer called Time To Fill urged repairs to be carried out.
Highways England had previously announced it had set aside £500,000 to repair potholes and the job should be done before Christmas.
Yesterday, a spokesman announced the repair work would start next week.
The carriageway will be closed overnight between 8pm and 6am with the work expected to be completed by the end of September. Diversions will be in place via the A259.
Repairs on the westbound carriageway will then start once the eastbound stretch is fixed.
Mark Waldron, editor of The News, said it was extremely welcome news that Highways England had responded to the urgent demand for action from commuters.
He said: ‘I congratulate them on today’s announcement
‘But I particularly would like to applaud our readers for so vocally making clear their concerns.
‘It is appalling that the A27 has been allowed to deteriorate to this point.
‘The A27 is the main arterial east-west road along the south coast and for the safety of all drivers these works cannot be completed soon enough.’
Julie Woollacott, a driving instuctor and advanced driver from Hayling Island, who gave a damning verdict on the stretch of road when she completed a journey with The News earlier in the summer, said: ‘I’m delighted.
‘It’s extremely helpful and pleasing to see the highways authority has given it a high priority.
‘It’s going to be safer for the motorcyclists and safer for cars. It’s good news all round.’
The campaign was launched after a motorist lost control of his vehicle when he hit a pothole on the A27.