Commit to selfless acts of kindness
Entrepreneur Sara Pollard explains the doorstep challenge, as featured on the Co-operative food advert
In December something incredible took over our TV screens and social media pages: the new Cooperative food’s ‘Ice’ TV commercial.
If you’ve been living under a rock and haven’t seen it yet, to sum it up; it stars two young actors and their quest for ice.
On the journey to the shop, the actor walks and slides on the icy street, going straight past an elderly neighbour.
Upon reaching the shop, he buys the ice bag, then has a thought, he quickly chooses a few more items, puts them in a shopping bag, pays for them and
leaves. On his way home, he places the bag on the doorstep of the elderly neighbour, rings the bell and walks away before the door is opened.
We see, the neighbour open the door and look around in bemusement before noticing the shopping bag on the doorstep.
The young man we met earlier enters his house, gives his friend the bag of ice and nothing is mentioned about the kind completely anonymous deed.
Started by mum and domestic violence therapist, Caroline Macrory offered a goodwill gesture to help a disadvantaged family and has encouraged thousands of others to do the same, under the name: #DoorstepChallenge
Anyone can take part and the rules are as follows.
1. Pick someone who has had a tough time or would simply benefit from some festive goodwill. It doesn’t have to be someone you know at all.
2. Choose them a gift - big or small.
3. Write them an anonymous note, some kind words about why you were thinking of them.
4. Leave it all at their doorstep.
5. Knock on the door and leg it - make sure they don’t see you!
6. Feel happy knowing that you have spread some new year cheer with no expectations of anything in return.
The best part about it means, you are not only helping someone in need but also rewarding people who make a difference to your community.
Selfless acts of kindness are all it takes to help make the world a much better place.
We have accepted our challenge and delivered ours just last week, so will you?
Hoping all my lovely readers had a very merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
n Sara Pollard runs Free from Temptation – a small home bakery in Fareham, visit freefromtemptation.co.uk for more.