Cooking causes fire

The bomb squad dealing with a suspicious item in Stanhope Road

Police say man arrested after ‘suspicious object’ found in Stanhope Road student halls in Portsmouth is held under the Explosives Act

0
Have your say

COSHAM firefighters are highlighting the importance of having a working smoke alarm.

Two crews were called to Oakwood Road, Hilsea, at 12.15pm yesterday.

An elderly man had accidentally set fire to his lunch, but was alerted to the blaze when a smoke alarm sounded. He was able to leave his home and call 999.

Crews used two breathing apparatus, one hose reel and a fan to put out the blaze.

Watch manager Andy Marsh said: ‘The gentleman was able to get out safely thanks to the smoke alarm.

‘It shows their importance.’