Crew called after kitchen blunder

Alan Mak MP with volunteers at the Purbrook litter pick

ALAN MAK: Helping keep our streets plastic free

Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS attended a call out in Gosport yesterday following reports of a potential house fire.

The incident occurred after a woman placed her toaster on top of a hot plate. After putting bread into the toaster, the woman turned the hot plate on by mistake.

Crew manager Tony Read said: ‘We arrived but there was no fire, just a lot of smoke which we cleared. The toaster had melted.

‘The lady self-evacuated as she had a working fire alarm. Thank goodness nobody was hurt. We urge people to check their fire alarms are functioning properly as they really do save lives.’