12-year-old Portsmouth boy admits string of charges in court

IN COURT The 12-year-old boy outside Fareham Magistrates Court
IN COURT The 12-year-old boy outside Fareham Magistrates Court
Share this article
Jon Venables pictured after his arrest in 1992

Thousands back Waterlooville gran’s plea to jail James Bulger’s killer for life

Have your say

A PRE-TEEN tearaway has admitted committing more than 20 offences in a two-month crime spree.

The 12-year-old pleaded guilty to 22 offences, all in Portsmouth and Southsea between May 9 and July 4.

The crimes carried out by the boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, covered a range of offences.

A remand hearing at Fareham’s youth court was told the boy no longer lives with his family in Portsmouth, and is now in the care of the local authorities.

The spree began on May 9 with the theft of chewing gum from a Tesco.

On June 7 he stole a remote control car from Modelzone in Commercial Road. A day later he assaulted a woman in St James’ Road, Southsea.

And the next day he carried out a racially-aggravated assault in Radnor Street, Southsea.

On June 14, he assaulted a woman in Waterloo Street, Southsea, and tried to steal a Lexmoto Tommy scooter, causing £70 of damage.

Two days after that he racked up six offences.

There were two assaults, one in Dunsmore Close, Southsea, and one in Winston Churchill Avenue.

He damaged food worth £40 belonging to the first victim. And he tried to break into a car parked in St James’ Road.

On the same day he carried out a racially-aggravated beating and racial harassment of another woman in Dunsmore Close.

On June 21, he stole a £200 bicycle in Winston Churchill Avenue.

Between June 22 and 26, he carried out a course of racially-aggravated harassment against a home in Waterloo Street, climbing on a shed roof and throwing stones at the property.

He also sexually assaulted two women in Commercial Road on June 26.

He carried out a common assault of a woman in Craswell Street the same day.

On June 28, he carried out a racially-aggravated beating of a man at Portsmouth & Southsea train station.

On July 1, he assaulted a man in Wellington Street, and attempted to damage his Rover car. Finally, on July 4 he assaulted a man in Commercial Road.

District judge Anne Arnold said: ‘I’m going to remand you back into the custody of the local authority under the same conditions you had before.’

Under his bail conditions the youth must stay out of parts of Southsea, not contact four individuals, be subject to a curfew from 6pm to 5am and live at his current address. He will be sentenced on August 31.