Abuser jailed after blaming teenager for sexual assaults

Collin Flatt was jailed for 40 months for sexually abusing a boy
Collin Flatt was jailed for 40 months for sexually abusing a boy
Have your say

A MAN who repeatedly abused a young boy told police: ‘We’re both guilty’.

Portsmouth Crown Court heard Collin Flatt, 40, tried to blame his teenage victim in a police interview.

Daniel Sawyer, prosecuting, said the abuse spanned about 15 months from 2014 and carried on into this year.

Mr Sawyer said Flatt would tell his victim, aged 13 to 14, ‘it’s just a bit of fun’ and ‘we won’t tell anyone’.

Flatt also told police: ‘I know what he’s doing is wrong so I’m as guilty as him.’

Flatt was only caught after a suspicious person set up a video camera and caught him abusing the child before reporting the incident to police.

Mr Sawyer said it was only when Flatt was interviewed for a third time he made further admissions.

Jailing Flatt for 40 months, Judge Ian Pearson said: ‘There was significant grooming of the child and then the abuse carried on over a very lengthy period on numerous occasions.’

He added: ‘When you were initially arrested you sought to blame the child for causing these offences.’

Louisa Bagley, defending, said Flatt was ashamed.

She said: ‘In relation to the substantive offences in relation to (the victim) Mr Flatt puts no excuses to this court.

‘He is deeply ashamed.’

She added: ‘It’s right to say he’s a man suffering from severe depression and anxiety at the time of these offences.’

But she added this was not offered as an excuse.

Flatt, of no fixed address but formerly of Portsmouth, entered guilty pleas at the preliminary court hearing.

He pleaded guilty to four counts of sexual activity with a child, four counts of causing or inciting a child to engage in sexual activity and three counts of sexual activity with a child.

Flatt also admitted one charge of failing to comply with notification requirements, relating to when he did not sign on to the sex offenders’ register at a police station after he was convicted.

Judge Pearson imposed a sexual harm prevention order for 15 years restricting Flatt’s access to children and ordered him to sign the sex offenders’ register for life.