Alleged killer sobs as he gives evidence over death of former Bedhampton woman

Stabbed: Alison Morrison
Stabbed: Alison Morrison
  • Accused gives evidence in Alison Morrison murder trial
Have your say

A TV satellite engineer who allegedly stabbed his next-door neighbour 33 times after a long-running dispute told jurors he went all ‘hazy’ around the time of the attack.

Trevor Gibbon, 48, allegedly armed himself with two knives and ambushed Alison Morrison, 45, as she walked to a railway station on her way to work on December 18 last year.

The killing came the day after Gibbon was handed a restraining order having pleaded guilty to harassing Mrs Morrison, the Old Bailey trial heard.

Mrs Morrison, a charity executive, grew up in Bedhampton and her three sisters still live in Waterlooville.

The stabbing happened near Mrs Morrison’s home in Harrow, north-west London.

Giving evidence, Gibbon said he stashed two knives in a Tesco bag in his car that day because he was contemplating suicide after the dispute had landed him in court.

When he parked up near his home, the only thing running through he mind was that he did not want to go to work, thinking of reasons not to go, he said.

His lawyer Francis FitzGibbon QC said: ‘It’s alleged that you parked there on purpose to wait for Mrs Morrison to come along so you could attack her.’

Gibbon replied: ‘That’s not true’, adding that he was not expecting to see her on foot as she usually rode a moped to work in the morning.

Asked what was on his mind when he spotted her, Gibbon said: ‘I just went hazy. I just saw her.’

He added: ‘I don’t know what I was thinking.’

Earlier, the defendant sobbed as he gave his version of the neighbour dispute with the Morrison family.

The court heard he had admitted some ‘low level harassment’, which involved flashing his car lights, repeatedly locking and unlocking his car and parking too close to the Morrison’s vehicle.

He had conceded that he was ‘in the wrong’, describing it as a ‘tit-for-tat’ situation.

The court heard Gibbon was arrested the same day as the killing after driving 100 miles away to Lincolnshire, apparently heading for the coast.

Gibbon denies murder and the trial continues.