Anguish as doctors tell victim’s family: He many never wake up

DISTRAUGHT Nina Toseland, inset, and her son Andrew who is in a coma
DISTRAUGHT Nina Toseland, inset, and her son Andrew who is in a coma
The propaganda was posted through a Facebook group

NATIONAL: Mother who posted IS propaganda has suspended sentence challenged

Have your say

THE mother of a man left in a coma after a vicious attack at a block of flats has been told by doctors he may never wake up.

Andrew Toseland, 49, of Garland Court in Forton Road, Gosport, is still in a coma at Southampton General Hospital following the incident on August 25.

DISTRAUGHT Nina Toseland

DISTRAUGHT Nina Toseland

The 6ft 2in warehouse worker was beaten at the block of flats at around 1am when the attack happened.

Doctors tried to rouse him from a medically-induced coma last week but his anguished 78-year-old mother Nina Toseland, whom he shares an eighth-floor flat with, told The News he did not regain consciousness.

She said: ‘He’s not doing any better. He’s still in a coma but he’s not on any medication now.

‘The doctors don’t think there’s any chance of him coming around.

‘They are going to leave it to see how it goes. They say they have to let things carry on but they don’t give us any hope.

‘When they tried to get him out of the coma, we were hopeful but they didn’t seem to have much hope of change. I don’t know what the next step is.’

She said his family have been keeping a vigil at his bedside since the attack.

‘The family are traumatised – we are quite a close family and always share things,’ she said.

‘I’m feeling a bit low and I am exhausted. I am still angry about what has happened.

‘It shouldn’t have happened at all, it’s just one of those things. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

‘He doesn’t go out a lot and if he did it would be with one of the family but it was his older brother Robert who he spent most time with.’

Samuel Armstrong, 18, of Sherwood Road in Gosport, has been charged with causing grievous bodily harm with intent and actual bodily harm over the incident.

He was remanded in custody to appear at Portsmouth Crown Court on December 3.

Six others were also arrested in connection with the attack and have been released on bail.

After the attack Mr Toseland was taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital in Cosham before being transferred to the neurological unit in Southampton.

Mrs Toseland said: ‘The police don’t give out much information about how the case is going. They just have to take things as they come.

‘The family always stays by his bedside.’

Anyone with information should call Gosport CID on 101.