Anxious wait for family of Gosport attack victim

IN HOSPITAL  Andrew Toseland
IN HOSPITAL Andrew Toseland
Share this article

Man arrested for exposure

Have your say

THE family of a man who was savagely beaten in a block of flats are facing an agonising wait to see how he will recover from a coma.

Andrew Toseland has been in an induced coma since being attacked in Gosport on Saturday.



He suffered serious head injuries and is recovering in the neurological unit at Southampton General Hospital.

The 49-year-old was beaten unconscious at Garland Court in Forton Road, where his mum Nina lives.

Mrs Toseland, 78, said: ‘They’re trying to bring him out of the coma at the moment.

‘I’m hoping he comes out of it and he’s alright.

‘But they have warned us about the worst case scenario.

‘The worst case is he might not come out of it or if he does there might be effects.’

Mr Toseland’s family has been warned he may be left with brain damage.

Doctors are slowly bringing the 49-year-old out of the induced coma he was placed in.

Mrs Toseland said he is not yet conscious but his limbs have been moving.

‘It just takes time and they have no idea when it will happen,’ she said.

Meanwhile Mr Toseland’s family has been flooded with messages of support from his friends and colleagues.

The attack happened at around 12.15am on Saturday.

As reported in The News, he was first taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital in Cosham in the early hours of Saturday.

He was later transferred to the specialist unit in Southampton for treatment.

Samuel Armstrong, 18, of Sherwood Road in Gosport, has been charged with causing grievous bodily harm with intent and actual bodily harm over the incident.

He was remanded in custody to appear at Portsmouth Crown Court on December 3.

Six others were also arrested in connection with the attack and have been released on bail.

Anyone with information should call Gosport CID on 101.

Information can also be given anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.