VILLAGERS heard an almighty bang when a telephone box burst into flames.
People in Bishop’s Waltham rushed out of their homes at 3am on Tuesday after hearing the explosion in the phone booth in The Avenue.
Police are appealing for witnesses after discovering a collection of aerosol cans and a firework inside the box, as well as receiving reports of a similar incident in nearby Upham.
A police spokeswoman said: ‘Fortunately no-one was injured in the incident and no further damage was caused outside of the telephone box.’
Call police on 101.