Armed robbery of Portsmouth home was due to '˜cocaine hunt, jury hears

THE armed robbery of a family home was the result of a hunt for cocaine and cannabis, a jury was told.

Friday, 15th July 2016, 6:02 am
Updated Thursday, 25th August 2016, 4:20 pm
Police at the Toby Carvery in Hilsea following the incident in Buckland

Four men kicked down the front door at a home in Sultan Road, Buckland, last April searching for drugs.

Drug dealer Draid Nurse, 21, told Portsmouth Crown Court yesterday that he had been contacted by Ryan 
Orme, 18, over whether he would be interested in buying drugs.

The duo met later that evening with four other men, who admit the attempted robbery of the home, during which a gun was pointed to the head of a 12-year-old boy.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

His terrified mum Maria Dine pleaded with the intruders not to shoot the boy and her four-year-old daughter.

The group fled the scene in a nearby Ford Galaxy taxi in which Orme, of High Street, Southampton, and Nurse were waiting.

Nurse, who is on trial with Orme accused of conspiring to rob, denies having any knowledge about the robbery and the use of a gun and masks.

He told the court: ‘This crime that they have done is very bad.

‘Orme rang up and asked if I knew anybody that wanted to buy some big bits of cocaine.

‘He said he was looking to get some cocaine or cannabis for a deal to help his friend who owed a debt.’

Philip Kazantzis, defending Nurse, asked his client: ‘Did you know where you were going or anything about the plan to rob the home?

Nurse answered: ‘No.’

Mr Kazantzis also asked: ‘Did you see any firearm or any type of masks on any of the men in the taxi?

To which Nurse replied: ‘No, I did not see anything. I was busy on my phone, texting contacts.’

Nurse added: ‘Once we got back to Orme’s house, he told me that the drugs weren’t there and that they were going to go somewhere else to get them.’

Orme then departed along with three of the men involved in the robbery – Richard Bailey, Faz’Ain Hussain and Abner Emedeme – who were later arrested. They have since pleaded guilty.

Nurse was arrested the next day at his home in Greetham Street, Southsea, while the sixth man involved in the incident is still at large.