Army cadet captain exposed himself to girl

GUILTY Alexander Smith outside Portsmouth Crown Court. (122108-2575)
GUILTY Alexander Smith outside Portsmouth Crown Court. (122108-2575)

WATCH: Police seize plants from suspected cannabis factory in Southsea

Have your say

AN ARMY Cadet Force captain has been warned he faces jail for exposing himself to a 16-year-old girl.

Alexander Smith, who was a volunteer in the cadets, talked to the girl about sex before dropping his pants, Portsmouth Crown Court heard.

The married father-of-three denied the charge of exposure but he was found guilty after a trial.

The girl, who cannot be named for legal reasons, said Smith had given her a lift when he started talking about sex and making suggestive remarks.

They were in his car in Portsmouth when he exposed himself.

The 46-year-old shook his head and looked down at the floor as the guilty verdict was delivered.

Recorder Anthony Davies QC released him on bail to be sentenced next month and warned him: ‘This is a serious case of its kind and therefore a custodial sentence amongst other sentences must be considered. In granting you bail it’s not to be taken as any indication of the sentence that may ultimately be passed upon you. In all likelihood a custodial sentence will be passed.’

Smith, of Holt Close, Lee-on-the-Solent, had been a volunteer with the cadets for 17 years and was the county sport officer for Hampshire.

He was immediately suspended from the organisation when the allegations arose in September 2010.

The police were called in but Smith , who was known in the cadets by his nickname Smudge, answered ‘no comment’ to their questions.

He gave them a prepared statement that blamed the girl for starting the sexual conversation.

‘At no point did I think anything was wrong,’ his statement said. ‘Nothing sinister or rude happened.’

But prosecutor Gary Venturi said Smith had an unhealthy interest in the girl and had pursued her.

County commandant, Colonel Rod Lambert, told the jury Smith had been agitated and close to tears when he confronted him over the allegations.

He said: ‘At that stage Captain Smith said words to the effect of “this will ruin my life, I’m going to lose my marriage, I’m going to lose my job, my life is over”. I said he seemed to have a self-destruct button and he said “yes I do, I know there’s something wrong with me, I’m not fit to work with children”.’

During the trial Smith claimed Colonel Lambert’s recollection of their conversation was wrong.

The jury took just over two hours to reach the verdict.