Attacker jailed for stabbing man four times with screwdriver in Gosport

A CONSCIENTIOUS neighbour was stabbed four times with a screwdriver and left with life-threatening injuries after challenging a man who he thought was breaking into a nearby house.

By The Newsroom
Thursday, 19th May 2016, 6:10 am
Andrew Miles was jailed for two years and four months for stabbing a man with a screwdriver in Gosport
Andrew Miles was jailed for two years and four months for stabbing a man with a screwdriver in Gosport

Now attacker Andrew Miles, of no fixed abode, has admitted the assault and pleaded guilty to unlawful wounding.

He appeared at Portsmouth Crown Court and was sentenced to two years and four months for the offence, which happened earlier this year in Gosport.

Miles also pleaded guilty to carrying a weapon and damaging a property.

Prosecutor Martyn Booth told the court that victim Stephen Burns saw the defendant damaging a door in Bevis Road, late on January 8.

‘Mr Burns thought the defendant was trying to break into the property and shouted at him,’ he said. ‘As the defendant ran from the property and towards Mr Burns, the victim grabbed him and pulled him to the floor.’

He added the defendant was swinging his arms while the pair were fighting.’

Mr Booth added: ‘Mr Burns started to feel weak and very breathless and he had to let the defendant go. He started to feel panicky and realised what was happening.’

Mr Burns, 51, from Gosport, suffered stab wounds to his ankle, shin, left buttock and upper back. The injury to his back caused his lung to collapse which doctors said was life-threatening.

He was unable to work from the injuries and still has movement problems in his ankle.

Although police could not say what weapon was used to injure Mr Burns, damage to the front door caused by Miles looked like it was caused by a screwdriver.

The court heard that the house Miles was seen damaging belonged to his former girlfriend. He had been drinking and wanted to retrieve some clothing he had left at her property.

Daniel Reilly, defending Miles, said: ‘He is remorseful for being responsible for the injuries and the effects they have had on Mr Burns.

‘He has had a difficult time in terms of his mental health.

‘At the time of these offences, there were clinical symptoms of depression.’

Miles was sentenced to two years and four months in jail for unlawful wounding.

Police found a lock knife on him when he was arrested. He was sentenced to 18 months in jail for the offence to run concurrently.

Miles, 34, received a further one month for criminal damage to run concurrently.