Campaigner welcomes inquest into mother’s Gosport War Memorial Hospital death after 14 years

Gladys Richards
Gladys Richards
Police Car / Incident Stock Pic (Pic by Jon Rigby) SUS-150519-172740001

Met admits undercover police officer took part in Hampshire fur farm raid

Have your say

SHE has waited and campaigned for 14 long years.

And now Gillian MacKenzie has welcomed the news that she will at last be able to attend an inquest into the death of her mother.

Gladys Richards, 91, died at Gosport War Memorial Hospital in 1998.

Hers was one of a string of deaths there that sparked police investigations.

An inquest into her death will start on December 3.

The date has come after relentless campaigning from Mrs Mackenzie, 78.

She said: ‘It’s been a long struggle to even get a date settled. That’s considering my inquest was granted by Jack Straw in January 2009 and it was supposed to be heard with other cases at the time.

‘Then it was hived off separately and it’s taken all this time to get a date settled and I find that extraordinary.

‘I don’t think it will be delayed this time, even though it has been postponed so many times before.’

Mrs Richards was taken to the Royal Haslar Hospital after she suffered a fall in Glen Heathers care home where she had been staying.

After her operation, Mrs Richards was transferred to Gosport War Memorial Hospital, in Bury Road, for rehabilitation.

During the course of her treatment she was given painkillers.

She died under the care of Dr Jane Barton.

Following Mrs Richards’ death, her daughter approached police with concerns over her mother’s care.

It was this case that prompted an investigation by Hampshire Constabulary into deaths at the hospital.

Inquests into the deaths of five other patients at the hospital took place in 2009.

A jury ruled that drugs prescribed by Dr Barton contributed to the deaths.

Last year, Dr Barton’s application to have her name removed from the General Medical Council register was accepted – she will not be able to practise in the UK.