Car salesman fails to get court order lifted

Share this article
A main road has been closed off after a suspected bomb was found

COUNTY: Urgent police hunt begins after raiders steal shotguns

Have your say

A SECOND-HAND car dealer has been ordered to clean up his act.

Jason Spencer, who runs Langley Motor Co, failed to get an enforcement order relating to his business quashed after he sold dodgy vehicles.

He must now pay £10,913 in costs following a hearing at Portsmouth County Court.

The order – made under the Enterprise Act 2002 – means Spencer must not flout the Sale of Goods Act by selling goods that don’t match their description, and are not of satisfactory quality.

He must also carry out a repair or replacement of goods within a reasonable time without causing significant inconvenience to the buyer.

He must make details of ownership of the business clear on his business documents and at the Langley Road premises in Buckland.

Peter Emmett, trading standards intervention manager for Portsmouth City Council, said: ‘Although many of Mr Spencer’s cars are priced at the lower end of the market they still represent a considerable sum of money to many consumers who are entitled to cars that work and importantly to know who they are dealing with if things go wrong.’

Trading standards officials first acted in 2005 following complaints from the public about a former site run by Spencer in Granada Road, Southsea, the court heard.

He signed an undertaking to comply with the law in 2006 but complaints continued. He was convicted of offences under the Consumer Credit Act in 2008.

Spencer was advised by trading standards again in 2009, which continued to monitor complaints about Langley Motor Co and another company he traded under – Mayfair Motors. Officials said evidence was presented to the county court showing Spencer was one of the most complained about car traders in Portsmouth. Statements were presented from six people who had bought faulty cars – some of whom were still out of pocket.

The enforcement order was granted against him in April, and upheld at a court hearing that Spencer did not attend in May.

Spencer said trading standards gave him little notice of the hearing and he missed it because his son was in hospital.

He said: ‘I chose to be with him and informed the court and trading standards that I could not attend.

‘I was absolutely speechless when I found on returning from hospital that the case had been tried in my absence.’