Catherington man jailed for horrifying attack on wife

Scot Mackenzie

Family’s urgent plea to find missing loved one

Have your say

A FATHER-of-three woke up in jail this morning after admitting a terrifying assault on his wife.

Paul Maynard, of Draycote Road, Catherington, flew into a jealous rage when his wife Kelly came home from a night out.

He strangled, headbutted and punched her while their three children were in the house.

Portsmouth Crown Court heard yesterday that the 32-year-old had paid a friend of his to accompany his wife on a night out with her work colleagues because he did not like the idea of her going out without him.

Prosecution barrister Matthew Lawson told the court that, hours after the terrifying attack at the family home on January 23, their house was burned down in an arson attack.

Maynard was originally charged with the arson but those charges have been dropped and a teenager – who cannot be named for legal reasons – has been charged with causing the blaze.

Mr Lawson said the friend sent to spy on Mrs Maynard told her husband that a man had ‘hit on’ his wife in a club.

He said: ‘The defendant confronted her and accused her of sleeping with another man, grabbed her throat and pushed her backwards, and squeezed her throat with his hands.’

The court heard Mrs Maynard tried to leave but her husband grabbed her, pushed her on the floor and again tried to throttle her.

She could not breathe and all the while her husband was shouting that she had been with another man.

Mr Lawson told the court that a neighbour, who was downstairs, asked what was going on, to which Maynard replied, ‘Everyone is going to get hurt, the kids and everyone.’

At that point the neighbour took the three young children to the safety of his home but the frenzied attack continued.

Mr Lawson said: ‘The defendant punched her with his right fist, connecting with her mouth. He grabbed the collar of her pyjamas, lifted her from the floor and headbutted her.’

Mrs Maynard ran to the bathroom and barricaded herself in using her body weight but Maynard tried to force his way in and screamed: ‘If you don’t come out I will kick the door in.’

His wife left the bathroom to check on the children, realised they were gone and ran to take refuge at her neighbour’s house.

Maynard telephoned the house and demanded his wife come home but she refused.

Minutes later Maynard walked up to the house clutching a seven-inch kitchen knife and threatened: ‘Let me in, I’m going to kill her.’

He eventually left.

Despite the terrifying attack the court heard the couple, who have been married eight years, are giving their marriage another go.

Maynard – who has previous convictions for assault and sending threatening text messages – admitted one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

He was jailed for 16 months.