CCTV shows hooligans’ confrontation after Portsmouth v Aldershot FA Cup match

  • Holligans handed six-year football banning orders and prison terms by a judge
  • Five out of seven thugs caged for disorder surrounding Pompey v Aldershot FA cup match
  • Disorder was most ‘significant’ in Hampshire for last six years
Have your say

Shocking CCTV footage released by police shows the ugly confrontations between hooligans after a Pompey match.

Hampshire Constabulary made public images it used in the prosecution of one of those taken to court, Alfie Lynch.

Alfie Lynch, highlighed, in a still from police CCTC after the Portsmouth v Aldershot game

Alfie Lynch, highlighed, in a still from police CCTC after the Portsmouth v Aldershot game

He is among men jailed for their part in the Remembrance Sunday disorder last year as Pompey met Aldershot in an FA Cup match at Fratton Park.

The News has muted parts of the CCTV footage, the original of which includes repeated use of foul language as rival groups confront each other,

The thugs who sent families running for cover when ‘tribal’ hooliganism erupted in a pub have been jailed by a judge.

Four of the seven men who appeared at Portsmouth Crown Court were handed football banning orders barring them from attending matches for six years.

This was a striking example of tribal mentality, which some call hooliganism, which all too often surrounds football clubs and it’s the opposite of civilised society

Recorder David Bartlett

Police described the events surrounding the Pompey v Aldershot match as the worst football-related disorder in Hampshire for six years. Two officers were cut with broken glass during the trouble.

CCTV played in court showed that the John Jacques pub in Fratton Road was packed with supporters of both sides.

Within moments the atmosphere changed as disorder broke out, forcing police to hold back lines of supporters waving their arms and pushing.

Recorder David Bartlett told the court: ‘Those defendants who are Aldershot claim the Portsmouth supporters shouted “come on Aldershot” and those defendants who are Portsmouth supporters thought that the Aldershot supporters shouted “come on Portsmouth”.

‘I conclude that both were responsible for the mayhem that broke out.’

He added: ‘This was a striking example of tribal mentality, which some call hooliganism, which all too often surrounds football clubs and it’s the opposite of civilised society.’

He added: ‘It was a frightening experience for members of the public eating and drinking on Remembrance Sunday.’

Prosecutor Simon Jones detailed each of the men’s involvement with the ‘large-scale’ disorder in the pub.

He said Aldershot fan Alfie Lynch was fighting with Pompey fan Lewis Gibbs in the bar.

Mr Jones said: ‘Lynch was involved in fighting at the bar area with Lewis Gibbs and maintains that he was struck first and then overreacted and behaved in a disorderly way.

‘He was with a number of Aldershot supporters pushing towards the Portsmouth supporters jeering and waving his arms.’

Aldershot fan Michael Singh was ‘actively involved’ in the disorder, Mr Jones said, pushing a man with force down on to a table and holding him there by the back of his neck.

Singh’s defence disputed aspects of the case against him and his sentencing was adjourned.

Pompey fan Gibbs was just six weeks off the end of a three-year banning order for violence at the Pompey v Cardiff match previously when he was in the bar.

Mr Jones said there was aggression on his face and that he was actively involved in that fight with Lynch.

Aldershot fan William Stocking pushed people out of the pub as he headed towards the disorder with half a pint of beer in his hand.

Mr Jones said his actions lasted for a matter of seconds but were ‘threatening and unlawful’.

Stocking had travelled down to Portsmouth the night before.

He joined jeering Aldershot fans in the pub and had to be pushed back by police.

Portsmouth supporter John Willett threw two punches at two people, including Lynch, before stretching his arms out with others and then leaving the pub. He had also received a football banning order in 2010.

Aldershot fan Ronnel Chambers was shown on CCTV clutching a glass to his chest and pushing towards opposing fans.

He was one of the Aldershot supporters pushed back by police.

Pompey fan Adam Squibb launched a glass into the melee after one hit him on the head.

Mr Jones said: ‘He’s the individual who throws a pint glass towards the mob of the Aldershot supporters hoping to discourage them from getting any closer but accepting that his actions were disproportionate and falling short of self-defence.’

The court heard Squibb was scared and did not go to the match after the disorder.

Footage recorded by police shows a number of Aldershot supporters outside the Milton Arms pub after the match shouting and jeering.

The judge called the men’s actions ‘worse than anti-social’.

None of the men was wearing football shirts from either club.

Recorder Bartlett jailed Gibbs for a year with a six-year football banning order and Lynch for eight months with a six-year banning order.

Stocking received a 12-week jail term suspended for 12 months.

Willett was jailed for 18 weeks with a six-year football banning order and Chambers was jailed for eight months with a six-year banning order. Squibb was jailed for 30 weeks.

No-one other than Squibb was injured but others could have been and not come forward, the judge said.

Defending Lynch, Charles Gabb said: ‘He was not looking for trouble or come along and caused it.’

He added Pompey supporters were allowed into the pub with Aldershot fans and were, for a time, drinking together. He added: ‘He simply responded when he was struck.’

But he said Lynch’s post-match behaviour outside the Milton Arms was ‘unattractive, silly, immature and childish’. Lynch has one previous offence for affray in February 2013.

Nicholas Bleaney, defending scaffolder Gibbs, said: ‘He has a relatively short involvement.’

Gibbs previously received a suspended sentence and a football banning order.

Charles Durrant, defending Stocking, said his client arrived the night before and stayed with a Portsmouth fan.

He added his actions, walking towards the melee, was only a momentary lapse of judgment.

Stocking has no previous convictions.

Stephen Smyth, defending Willett, said: ‘He’s not someone who went out in any way to cause trouble.’

He added father-of-two Willett, who threw two punches toward Aldershot fans, has changed since his previous convictions after meeting his partner.

Damian Hayes, defending father-of-two and warehouse manager Chambers, said he was a not a regular fan.

He added: ‘There’s an incident taking place, a glass is thrown in his direction and he responds in kind.

‘There’s no suggestion that the glass hit him and there’s no suggestion the glass he threw hit anyone.’

Mr Hayes added Chambers – who lives with his mother – carried out actions that were ‘deplorable’ but there were a lot of good things about him.

Chambers has previous convictions for affray, battery and robbery.

Matthew Farmer, defending scaffold worker Squibb, who has no previous convictions, said: ‘He chose foolishly and under great pressure, he’s struck on the head with glass, picked up glass and threw it at Aldershot fans to keep them back.’

Alfie Lynch, 21, of Brookfield Road, Aldershot, pleaded guilty to affray.

Michael Singh, 50, of Church Hill, Aldershot, pleaded guilty to affray.

Lewis Gibbs, 23, of Jervis Road, Stamshaw, was found guilty of affray at trial.

William Stocking, 27, of Quarry Road, Godalming, pleaded guilty to an offence under section four of the Public Order Act 1986.

John Willett, 30, Keswick Avenue, Copnor, pleaded guilty to the same public order offence.

Ronnel Chambers, 23, of Laburnum Road, Aldershot, pleaded guilty to affray.

Adam Squibb, 23, Well Street, Ryde, Isle of Wight, pleaded guilty to affray.

Thugs had previous convictions for trouble at football games

POMPEY hooligans’ previous convictions were detailed in court.

The judge told how Lewis Gibbs received a football banning order from events after the 2010 Pompey v Cardiff match.

He was convicted of affray in relation to his involvement at that match. The previous order lasted three years and it expired just six weeks before he attended Pompey v Aldershot last year.

Willett, also from Portsmouth, has 39 previous convictions.

Those include affray, assaulting police, and two racially-aggravated public order offences in 2010 and 2013.

Both of those were on return visits from football matches in the midlands and the west country.

He was handed a football banning order in 2010 which expired two years ago.

Recorder David Bartlett told him: ‘You have a very bad record.’