Construction worker speaks of his shock after discovering body near Portsmouth Tesco petrol garage

A DAD-OF-FOUR has spoken of his shock after discovering a body near a Tesco petrol garage in Portsmouth.

Wednesday, 9th March 2016, 4:40 pm
Updated Wednesday, 9th March 2016, 10:26 pm
Police near Tesco petrol garage at North Harbour in Portsmouth where a body was found

The drama unfolded close to the North Harbour store when the corpse was found slumped on the other side of the perimeter fence.

A worker involved in the construction of a new McDonald’s nearby, off Southampton Road, made the discovery after following some rabbits that were running in the grass.

The incident, which happened at about 11am today, sparked a major police operation, with officers taping off the exit to the petrol garage and using vehicles to block the route.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Investigators in white suits scoured the scene for evidence while police stood guard.

A blue tent was put around the body, which was said to be badly decomposed.


To watch a video report about the incident click here


The eyewitness, who is working on the McDonald’s store on behalf of Williams Southern Limited Construction said: ‘I was stood by the side of my van when I spotted some rabbits running about in the grass near the petrol garage.

‘So I decided to follow them and see where they were going.

‘One of them ran out towards the fence, and then I saw a body. We sent a foreman down to double-check.

‘He confirmed it was. And then we phoned the police.

‘It was very shocking – certainly the most shocking thing I’ve ever seen in this job. When I saw it, I jumped a mile.

‘I couldn’t believe it. It was a body, a badly decomposed body. It looked like it had clothes on. The body was propped up against the other side of the fence.

‘It’s the first time I’ve seen anything like this and I definitely hope it’s the last.’

Drivers were still able to fill their cars up with fuel at the garage but had to leave through the entrance to the forecourt.

Garage workers said they were not made aware of what happened, but knew an investigation was under way and said police had been there since 11.30am.

In a statement, Hampshire Constabulary said: ‘Police were called due to the finding of what are believed to be human remains. We have commenced an investigation.’