Court hears murder accused’s text insults

Debbie Levey
Debbie Levey
Police searching for knives in Tennyson Crescent, Waterlooville. Picture:

Waterlooville Police/Twitter

Police searching parks find seven ‘items’ in knife crime crackdown

Have your say

A MURDER suspect told his girlfriend’s daughter her mother was a ‘slut’, months before her death.

Murder victim Debbie Levey’s 17-year-old daughter, who cannot be named for legal reasons, told Lewes Crown Court that Phillip Brown sent her a text message in summer 2012, insulting her mother.

When asked if he knew where Ms Levey was, Brown replied: ‘I don’t care, she’s a slut. I don’t want anything to do with her.’

Ms Levey’s daughter said: ‘We were like best friends so she told me quite a lot of stuff.’

Brown, who is in his mid-40s and from Selsey, is charged with murdering the woman he wanted to marry. He denies the charge.

Ms Levey was found dead at her home on January 28, 2013, by a work colleague. Forensic pathologists believe she was smothered and asphyxiated.

The pair met through work in January 2012, and broke up the following November.

Ms Levey’s daughter said Brown had been quite ‘full on’ from the start of the relationship and professed his undying love, wanting to marry her and have her children.

And she said her mother described his attitude to her as ‘quite heavy’.

‘She didn’t want another marriage,’ she said.

The jury has heard the couple’s relationship described as ‘highly charged’, with Brown said to be a ‘Jekyll and Hyde character’.

At other times, Brown is alleged to have sent her abusive messages, despite Ms Levey having deleted his number from her phone book.

‘She felt like she was being stalked by him,’ added the daughter.

She said she thought her mother replied to a few of Brown’s texts to keep him happy, because he had a temper and she did not want to make it worse.

Earlier, the jury heard a transcript of an interview Brown gave to police the day after Ms Levey’s body was discovered. He said he had wanted to marry her right from the start.

Brown claims he waited outside her East Ashling home, Cherry Tree Cottage, for five hours on the day she died, after being invited there.

When asked why he waited that long, he said: ‘Hope, that’s all it is, just hope.’