Detectives continue to question suspect over Waterlooville murder

SCENE A police officer guards the door of the flat where Sean Bailey was found.  Picture: Malcolm Wells (121320-1188)
SCENE A police officer guards the door of the flat where Sean Bailey was found. Picture: Malcolm Wells (121320-1188)
Share this article

Man arrested for exposure

Have your say

MURDER squad detectives continue to quiz the prime suspect over stabbing of Simon Warton today.

Suspect Sean Bailey was dramatically arrested at a flat in Havant on Saturday night.

Four more people were arrested in the Havant area on suspicion of assisting an offender after Bailey was taken in for questioning over Simon Warton’s murder.

Police last night refused to reveal details of the other people arrested.

Armed police and dogs descended on Southampton House, in Broadmere Avenue, Leigh Park, at about 10pm on Saturday, and found Bailey in a first-floor flat.

Residents heard police shouting Bailey’s name and urging him to give himself up as the hunt for the 28-year-old reached its climax.

Bailey was arrested on suspicion of murdering Mr Warton two days after the 27-year-old’s death from a stab wound.

Southampton House resident Kathy Duke, 52, said: ‘I heard armed police – they called out Sean Bailey’s name. There was screaming. They were trying to negotiate to get him out of the flat.

‘There were lots of police outside and dogs.’

Patrick McCormack, 31, was visiting a friend when he heard the drama.

He said: ‘I could hear screaming.

‘I walked down to see what was going on. A guy was on the floor. He was being arrested and there were armed police. The police turned around and said to me “go inside for your own safety”.

One resident, who does not want to be named, added: ‘Somebody was shouting “come out Sean”. There were a lot of police.’

Yesterday the battered front door of the flat where the search for Bailey, from Waterlooville, ended stood ajar as a police officer guarded the scene.

In the wake of Bailey’s arrest, Hampshire Constable Chief Constable Alex Marshall posted on Twitter: ‘[Hampshire police] have detained Sean Bailey wanted in connection with a recent fatal stabbing.

‘Thank you to all who have assisted in finding him.’

Mr Marshall’s message came after he made an appeal via The News for Bailey to give himself up.

While police searched for Bailey in connection with the murder, it’s understood he regularly updated his Facebook page, even accepting dozens of new friend requests.

It is believed Mr Warton, of Orsmond Close, Waterlooville, had been at a party in Curlew Gardens, Wecock, when a fight broke out shortly after 5am on Thursday.

Mr Warton was stabbed in nearby Dove Close. He was taken to hospital where he later died.

A post mortem revealed he died of a stab wound. Police are still establishing what weapon was used.

Last night Bailey was still in police custody.

As detectives continued to question him, Havant district commander Chief Inspector Alison Heydari released a statement, saying: ‘Hampshire Constabulary is grateful for the considerable co-operation of the community.

‘We understand the events surrounding Mr Warton’s murder have been upsetting and unsettling for many people who knew him.

‘Further enquiries are being led by the Hampshire Major Investigation Team, which is firmly focused on finding all available evidence as swiftly as possible.’