Disused Fareham pub garden sealed off as police launch murder probe

Roger Gull has been jailed

REGIONAL: Jail for man who stole oil worth millions from pipelines

Have your say

THE garden of a former pub in Fareham has been sealed off by police who relaunched an investigation into a murder they believe may have happened 15 years ago.

A search for the body of Kevin John Palmer, a timeshare salesman known as John who went missing in March 1999, is underway in the garden of the disused Gordon Arms pub, in Gordon Road,

SCENE Officers a the disused Gordon Arms in Gordon Road, Fareham

SCENE Officers a the disused Gordon Arms in Gordon Road, Fareham

Police entered the property this morning and sealed off the grounds for examination by specialist officers and equipment.

He went missing in Hampshire after a night out with friends. His disappearance happened shortly after he arrived in the UK from Malaga in Spain, where he was living at the time.

Mr Palmer, who was aged 37 in 1999, has never been found.

Detectives from Hampshire Constabulary’s Major Investigation Team say they are pursuing leads following a recent routine cold case review.

MISSING Kevin Palmer

MISSING Kevin Palmer

Senior investigating officer detective superintendent Paul Barton said: ‘Each unsolved murder across Hampshire and the Isle of Wight is reviewed routinely by a dedicated team of experienced detectives in the force.

‘A recent assessment of information received about the whereabouts of Kevin John Palmer prompted a line of enquiry, which has taken us to this address in Fareham.

‘We are not able to give more details about the source of this information because of sensitive and confidential circumstances.’

Mr Palmer, who had lived in Spain with his wife and daughter for 10 years, had been drinking in the Sir Joseph Paxton pub in Hunts Pond Road, Locks Heath, before going to a disco at the Abshot Hotel and Country Club, Titchfield Common.

At 1am he got a cab with two men and a woman heading towards Bishop’s Waltham.

The car passed through Curdridge, where the taxi passengers had an argument.

The driver stopped at the junction of Middle Road and Botley Road and the three men got out, but only two men resumed the journey to a home in Hoe Road, Bishop’s Waltham.

Detectives thought they had found the taxi driver, but he failed to shed any new light and police were convinced he was not the person they were looking for.