Drunk woman hit paramedics and tried to strip naked before running on to A32

RAF Typhhon of 3 Sqn firing ASRAAM missile.JPEt John Periam article on aviation SUS-151124-104538003
RAF Typhhon of 3 Sqn firing ASRAAM missile.JPEt John Periam article on aviation SUS-151124-104538003
Have your say

A WOMAN who got so drunk that she attacked two paramedics as they came to her aid and then tried to strip naked has been ordered to pay compensation.

Fareham Magistrates’ Court heard how Sarah Weald, of Hoads Hill, Wickham, drank a bottle of vodka after she finished her volunteering shift in Fareham on Thursday, October 22.

The 43-year-old was then found lying by the side of the A32 dual carriageway, Wickham Road, near Boundary Oak School, at around 4.15pm.

Prosecutor Noel Watkins told magistrates that a small crowd had gathered around Weald, and as off-duty paramedics Jonathan Lloyd and Jade Foley drove by – on their way home from work but still in uniform – they felt it their duty to pull over and help.

Mr Watkins said: ‘Due to their jobs, they decided to stop as they thought she had possibly been hit by a vehicle. She was entirely unco-operative.’

‘She had abrasions to her forehead. She refused their offers of help, then ran into the dual carriageway, narrowly avoiding causing an accident.’

Mr Lloyd held Weald’s arm to bring her back to safety and she scratched him.

Mr Watkins added: ‘She started to undress herself despite being in full view of the public. She then sat on the ground saying go away.’

As the paramedics were concerned that she would run into the road again, they held on to her and she pushed Ms Foley and hit Mr Lloyd. They had called for help and an ambulance and police arrived.

Stephen Bentley, defending, said Weald had no recollection of how she ended up in the road. She had been waiting for her husband to pick her up and decided to start drinking.

He said that Weald had been an alcoholic for five years, with a binge-drinking problem, and that she had been seeking medical help.

Mr Bentley said: ‘She would like to express her regret to those two paramedics and the officers who attended the scene. She is very ashamed of what she has done.’

Weald pleaded guilty to two counts of assault by beating and one count of being drunk and disorderly in a public place. She was given a 12-month community order and must do 80 hours unpaid work.

She must also pay £50 compensation to her victims, a victim surcharge of £60, £85 in CPS costs and a £150 court charge.