Faith leader in court charged with fraud

Rev Michael Johnson outside Portsmouth Crown Court
Rev Michael Johnson outside Portsmouth Crown Court
James Laurie. Picture: Hampshire Constabulary

Concern for Portsmouth teenager who has been missing for two weeks

A REVEREND has appeared in court charged with fraud.

Revd Michael Johnson (pictured above) denied the charge during a brief hearing at Portsmouth Crown Court yesterday.

The 50-year-old was charged over the alleged fraud, said to be worth thousands of pounds.

Johnson, of Northcliffe Road, Bognor Regis, was bailed for his trial.

Co-defendant Jamie-Jay Johnson, 21, of Aldwick Road, Bognor Regis, denied two counts of transferring criminal property.

The fraud was alleged to have happened between August 31, 2015, and December 16 of the same year.

Judge Claudia Ackner bailed both for their trial later this year.

Speaking in court, the judge said: ‘Michael Johnson and Jamie-Jay Johnson, you have both pleaded not guilty to the offences you’re charged with so this matter will go for trial.’

She added: ‘You’re on conditional bail, you can remain on bail with those conditions.’

The pair previously appeared at Worthing Magistrates’ Court on January 24 to answer the charges. Their trial is set for June 19 at Portsmouth Crown Court.