Fan is banned for three years after shoving PC

Police Car / Incident Stock Pic (Pic by Jon Rigby) SUS-150519-172740001

Met admits undercover police officer took part in Hampshire fur farm raid

Have your say

A FOOTBALL hooligan who assaulted a policeman has been banned from attending matches for three years.

Stephen Rolfe shoved a police video camera into the face of PC Matthew Cumming near Fratton Park.

CAUGHT ON FILM Yob Stephen Rolfe pictured shortly before attacking an officer after a Pompey match

CAUGHT ON FILM Yob Stephen Rolfe pictured shortly before attacking an officer after a Pompey match

PC Cumming was filming angry scenes between Pompey and Leeds United fans at the junction of Goldsmith Avenue and Apsley Road, Southsea, when the assault happened.

He had been deployed there following a floodlights failure during the match on January 22, amid fears of planned violence between up to 50 rival fans.

Rolfe, who supports both Pompey and Leeds, told Fareham Magistrates’ Court he left the game alone after the lights failed. He said he was then hit on the head by the wing mirror of a police van as he waited for a bus in Goldsmith Avenue.

The 43-year-old – who has tattoos of both clubs as well as a 6.57 tattoo on his back – approached police at the scene and started shouting and swearing about the incident. He then shoved the camera into PC Cumming’s face after being told by another officer to leave.

CONVICTED Stephen Rolfe

CONVICTED Stephen Rolfe

PC Cumming said: ‘The camera lens was pressed against my eye. As the camera was punched into my face it forced my head back and snapped the viewfinder.’

It caused £420 worth of damage to the camera.

Rolfe, of Winchcombe Road, Paulsgrove, who has a string of convictions – two football-related – denied criminal damage and assaulting a police officer.

But he was found guilty by magistrates and ordered to pay £420 to Hampshire Constabulary and £300 in costs. He was also given a two-month curfew ordering him not to leave home between 4pm and midnight on Fridays, Saturdays or Sundays for two months.

And he was slapped with a Football Banning Order barring him from matches for three years.

If Rolfe flouts the order he faces up to six months in jail.

PC Stuart Dickerson, from Portsmouth’s football unit, said: ‘We are very pleased with the result. If anybody causes violence at football matches against police or the public we will apply for them to be banned from matches.

‘He has caused disorder at football matches previously and been arrested at football matches twice before, but he has never been issued with a football banning order. It’s hoped the issuing of this order will help prevent football-related crime and disorder in Portsmouth.’