A ROOFING company has been fined thousands of pounds for providing insufficient protection at a site where an accident left a worker with brain damage.
Robert Zwyczyk, 57, was removing asbestos when he fell through a skylight at the Kiln Acre Business Park in Wickham Road in Fareham on April 27 last year.
He suffered neurological damage and swelling to his brain, as well as numerous broken bones including both wrists and both eye sockets.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) established that his employers Focus (Southampton) Ltd had not taken into account the risk of falling off the roof or from an internal mezzanine floor.
Focus pleaded guilty to breaching the work at height regulations at Portsmouth Magistrates’ Court. The company was fined £2,000 and ordered to pay £1,000 in costs.
HSE inspector Nina Judkins said the accident was ‘entirely preventable,’ and added: ‘The company did not provide effective protection for the workers it was responsible for and it was this failure that led to one worker sustaining severe injuries.’