Father and son attacked friends over ‘bantering’

editorial image
Have your say

A FATHER and son launched a ‘sickening’ attack on two friends in the street in a ‘moment of madness’, a court heard.

Luke Triggs punched one of the men to the ground after the victim made a remark to him before his father Andrew kicked him as he lay bleeding.

Portsmouth Crown Court heard the 52-year-old told his son, 21, to stamp on the man’s head in the attack in Southsea.

Andrew Triggs then pinned the victim up against a van before taking a few steps back and launched a kick at him.

He then punched a second man several times in the face, breaking his jaw in three places and leaving him needing surgery to fit a metal plate.

Addressing the pair on the first attack, Judge Roger Hetherington said: ‘It was quite a sickening display. It was a dreadful assault to his face and other parts of his body.’

He added: ‘The background to it appears to have been some remark, it seems, that one of these men made.

‘There was absolutely no reason why it should have gone beyond the bantering that was going on as you walked with your two partners.

‘But for whatever reason, and quite unjustifiably, you both launched into serious violence.’

The Triggs did not know their victims. The pair’s first victim, 22, said he was glad justice had been done.

He said: ‘It’s taken a long while to get over the fact it’s happened. After about a year and a half it’s finally done.’

In court, prosecutor Jodie Mittell said the victim’s confidence had been knocked following the attack by the pair, of Napier Road, Southsea.

Ms Mittell added: ‘Since this he struggles to get to sleep and relives the incident in his mind.’

The second victim feels shame he could not help his friend when he went back to help, she added.

Ms Mittell said: ‘He realised he couldn’t stop them from doing so. If he had he would have got further injuries.’

Luke Triggs was jailed for 14 months. Sentencing his father to 24 months in prison, Judge Hetherington said: ‘It must have been a very hard punch followed up by others resulting in a fracture in three parts to his jaw and an operation having to be carried out involving plating.

‘It’s hard to exaggerate what an awful attack this was.’

Unyime Davies, defending, said it was a ‘moment of madness’ and Triggs, who had been drinking, thought his son was being attacked on November 23, 2013.

The court heard Luke Triggs, a gas technician, had faced up to what he did and has tried to better himself since.

Both men admitted assault occasioning actual bodily harm in relation to the first victim. Andrew Triggs, a welder fabricator, was found guilty at trial of inflicting grievous bodily harm in relation to the second man.