Filthy Portsmouth Indian takeaway landed with £1,500 fine

Attempted robbery in Southsea

0
Have your say

A takeaway found in a filthy condition has been fined for breaching a string of food safety regulations.

Curry King, in Spur Road, Cosham, was found to have an ‘extremely poor standard’ of hygiene and ‘serious cross-contamination’ risks.

Some of the ecamples of the  'extremely poor standard' of hygiene at Curry King, in Spur Road, Cosham. Also pictured below.

Some of the ecamples of the 'extremely poor standard' of hygiene at Curry King, in Spur Road, Cosham. Also pictured below.

Inspectors from the city council’s environmental team also believed meals were creating a ‘significant risk’ of food poisoning.

Kitchen and store rooms were in disrepair, worktops, walls and floors were dirty and there was a build up of grease.

Refrigerators were filthy, there were no proper hand washing facilities and proper food handling practices were not being followed.

Ingredients were also not being kept under the right temperature.

Curry King operator, Shamsul Chowdhury, 52, of Earlsdon Street, Portsmouth, pleaded guilty on behalf of the company to nine offences related to poor food hygiene at Portsmouth Magistrates’ Court.

Chowdhury had also not registered the business with the council.

The takeaway was fined £1,500 and ordered to pay £500 costs as well as a £50 victim surcharge.

The council inspection in March this year, which came on the back of a complaint, also revealed the building was in a poor condition, with paint flaking from the walls and there was a risk of woodwork coming into contact with food.

Although a list of recommended improvements had been given, Chowdhury did not follow them nor put satisfactory standards in place.

Alan Cufley, head of service for environmental health at Portsmouth City Council, said customers had been put ‘at risk’ by the business’ failure to keep up proper standards.

‘Wherever possible, where problems are found, we work with businesses to help them improve,’ he said.

‘However, customers were put at risk in this case because the help and advice we gave was ignored, and past lessons were not learned.

‘Food hygiene is of prime importance and we cannot allow poor standards and behaviour like this. We will take appropriate action, including prosecution, to protect the health and safety of the public.’

It comes after the council’s environmental team prosecuted Scoops Gelato, in Elm Grove, Southsea, for poor hygiene and breaching health and safety rules when it served a chocolate sundae containing glass to a boy.