Fire breaks out in room of house suspected of being used as a cannabis factory in Portsmouth

AN ELECTRICAL fault caused a fire in a Fratton home – and when firefighters arrived they found what is thought to be a cannabis factory.

By Neil Fatkin
Saturday, 22nd August 2020, 12:15 pm
Updated Saturday, 22nd August 2020, 12:17 pm

Two engines from Southsea and two from Cosham were sent at about 4.30am today to an end-of-terrace home in Olinda Street, Fratton.

The fire service believe the fire, which was in the rear bedroom, may have been caused by an electrical fault.

It is believed that the electricity supply had been rigged to ‘bypass the electricity meter’.

The police and fire service were called in the early hours of this morning (August 22) to a blaze at a house suspected of being used as a cannabis factory.

No-one was in the house at the time.

Read More

Read More
Teenager 'sparked fear' by carrying BB gun around Portchester

Hampshire Constabulary, which also attended the incident, confirmed that there was evidence of drug cultivation.

A statement from the police said: ‘We were called at 4.47am by the fire service to an address in Olinda Street, Fratton. Evidence of cannabis cultivation was found at the address and enquiries remain ongoing into this.’

A message from the Editor, Mark Waldron

Thank you for reading this story. The dramatic events of 2020 are having a major impact on our advertisers and thus our revenues.

The News is more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription to support our journalism. You can subscribe here for unlimited access to Portsmouth news and information online.

Every subscription helps us continue providing trusted, local journalism and campaign on your behalf for our city.