Four arrested as man is stabbed in 4am Southsea street brawl

ON GUARD A policeman at a taped-off area after the fight in which a man was stabbed
ON GUARD A policeman at a taped-off area after the fight in which a man was stabbed
Police at the scene of the attempted murder in Middle Street, Portsmouth

Students left concerned after 20-year-old man suffers ‘serious injuries’

Have your say

A STUDENT has told how a house party ended in tragedy when a fight erupted and a man was rushed to hospital after being stabbed twice.

The victim was stabbed in the stomach and arm during the brawl in the Wish Place cul-de-sac, off Albert Road in Southsea, which involved up to 25 people.

Numerous police vehicles were sent out and four people were arrested for suspected assault causing grievous bodily harm at about 4am on Saturday.

Niranjan Rasalingam, of Oxford Road, which opens at the back on to Wish Place, said: ‘We were having a house party and I had a few of my friends down from London – they wanted to go to the beach.

‘We’d been having fun out the back with our neighbours, they’d been having a party and a barbecue as well.

‘Then three guys arrived. It started off alright, but I think one of them had had too much to drink and said something to one of the guys from the other party.

‘They started arguing and got into a fight, then one of the guys stabbed my neighbour and ran off through our house and out of the front door. He just disappeared.

‘I don’t really know the guy who was stabbed that well – they only moved in there a little while ago.’

The 23-year-old University of Portsmouth student said: ‘The guy who was stabbed was conscious, there was quite a bit of blood, but it didn’t look like he was cut too deeply.

‘I had never seen the guys who joined us before. I don’t know why the argument started, it had all been friendly before that.’

A police spokeswoman confirmed that a man had been stabbed and was being treated at Queen Alexandra Hospital in Cosham, but the wounds were not believed to be life-threatening and that a weapon has been recovered.

The nature of the weapon was not revealed for operational reasons.

The arrested men were a 21-year-old from Luton, a 25-year-old from Newmarket, a 29-year-old from Mitcham, and 27-year-old for whom police had no immediate address.

A police cordon remained up until Saturday afternoon as officers continued their investigations.

Any witnesses should contact Det Con Jacqueline Foley of Southsea CID on 0845 0454545 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.