Gang in £50,000 botched Gosport raid face lengthy jail terms

The gang's trial was held at Portsmouth Crown Court
The gang's trial was held at Portsmouth Crown Court
  • Gang convicted of robbery burst into man’s house after being told he had £50,000
  • Victim suffered blows as men punched him as he defended himself with door flung off its hinges
  • Ringleader and lieutenant stole drugs and paraphernalia from cannabis factories
Have your say

A CRIMINAL gang that burst into a man’s home in a botched robbery face long jail terms.

The five-strong gang were found guilty of conspiracy to rob Wayne Hughes in Gosport after a trial at Portsmouth Crown Court.

I can assure you there will be lengthy custodial sentences

Judge Sarah Munro QC

The four-week trial heard Tyrone Smith and Nathan Brown were among four men who burst into the address in St Vincent Road, Gosport.

One-legged getaway driver Stewart Broughton, 50, of Ann’s Hill Road, Gosport, lay in wait outside in a BMW X5 while Jessica Jenkins, 37, of Potters Avenue, Fareham, was waiting in a Peugeot 206.

Wayne Dujon – who was referred to as the captain of the gang – was at an address in Fareham having co-ordinated the robbery.

The 33-year-old, of Ransome Close, Fareham, believed the gang would find £50,000 inside the home – but soon found out this was wrong.

Desmond Duffy, senior prosecutor for the Crown Prosecution Service, said Smith knocked on the door asking if Steve was in.

‘Mr Hughes replied to the man that he had the wrong address and went to close the door but the man stopped him from doing so and was quickly joined by one companion, then two more,’ he said.

‘All but the first man wore balaclavas. Mr Hughes was shouting at them to “leave it”, telling them there were kids in the house.

‘They pushed the front door with such force that it lifted up off its hinges.’

The victim used the door as a shield as Brown, 25, of Landguard Road, Southampton shouted to hand over cash in the robbery on March 31 last year.

The men started to punch Mr Hughes before one of his children appeared.

Smith, 33, of Millers Pond Gardens, Southampton, ran off and Mr Hughes hit out.

They then launched another attack on him for up to 30 seconds before making off.

A 10-minute high-speed police chase followed through red lights across the streets of Gosport and Fareham.

Police stopped the car and arrested Jenkins and Brown.

Dismissing the jury Judge Sarah Munro QC said: ‘I can assure you there will be lengthy custodial sentences.

‘All of them apart from Miss Jenkins had quite lengthy and substantial records.

‘They are pretty hardened criminals.’

The defendants said they were recruited for a debt collection, not a robbery.

Dujon was also found guilty of conspiracy to steal while Jenkins had already pleaded guilty to that charge.

The pair had swapped texts talking about going on ‘missions’ and had been stealing drugs and paraphernalia from cannabis factories in the Southampton area ahead of the robbery.

Mr Duffy added letters by Dujon found in prison showed he planned from his cell to try and plant evidence on Mr Hughes’ phone and asked others to follow a script for their evidence at court.

The jury found him guilty of attempting to pervert the course of justice.

He also praised Mr Hughes for giving evidence.

The gang will be sentenced later this month.