Girlfriend of man on murder charge speaks of ‘attack’

CORDON A police crime team at the scene of a fatal stabbing in Dove Close, Wecock Farm. Picture: Ian Hargreaves  (121289-16)
CORDON A police crime team at the scene of a fatal stabbing in Dove Close, Wecock Farm. Picture: Ian Hargreaves (121289-16)

REVEALED: The 25 worst crime hotspots in Portsmouth

Have your say

THE girlfriend of a man accused of murder thought she was going to die when he attacked her on the night of the killing, a court heard.

The 16-year-old girl, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was at a party with murder accused Sean Bailey on the night Simon Warton was stabbed to death.

In an interview shown on DVD to a 12-strong jury, the girl, who is no longer in a relationship with Bailey, told police he attacked her shortly before the murder, fearing she would cheat on him.

She said: ‘He had his hands around my throat, grabbed it and pushed my throat into the mattress. He was doing it for quite a while. I actually thought I was going to die.

‘I couldn’t do nothing, I couldn’t scream nothing. That was when the door kicked through.’

In the footage, shown on the second day of Bailey’s trial at Winchester Crown Court, the girl told how Simon Warton, 27 – who had just been released from prison – and brothers Bradley Woodacre and Matthew Mourne broke down the door to a first floor bedroom where Bailey, 28, was assaulting her.

She said the trio set upon him.

Jurors were previously told the owner of the property in Curlew Gardens, Wecock, then told them all to leave.

Outside Mr Warton asked the teenager if she was alright, before a ‘scuffle’ broke out between Bailey and Mr Warton and she left the scene.

The girl said during her interview that Mr Warton later ran past her, clutching his abdomen.

She said: ‘Simon was running up behind me round the corner bit and leaned on a car.

‘He moved his hand and I thought, ‘oh my God, you’ve been stabbed.’ With that he just moved his hand and fell to the floor.’

The jury heard Bailey was attacked with bits of chair by Mr Mourne and Mr Woodacre before fleeing the scene of the murder in Dove Close, Wecock, on April 11.

Mr Mourne has since died.

Bailey, of Robin Gardens, Wecock, was arrested by police at a flat in Southampton House, Broadmere Avenue, Leigh Park, on April 14.

He told detectives he acted in self defence in the kitchen of the home.

He said he picked up a knife behind his back and stabbed blindly forward.

Bailey denies murder.

The prosecution claims Mr Warton could not have stumbled 45m from the kitchen to Dove Close with such a devastating wound. (Proceeding)

Alleged killer ‘had taken illegal drug Meow Meow’

MURDER accused Sean Bailey had taken illegal drug Meow Meow on the night Simon Warton was stabbed to death, a court heard.

The ex-girlfriend of Bailey, 28, said during an interview with police shown on DVD at Winchester Crown Court that they had taken the class B drug, also called mephedrone, at the house party in Curlew Gardens, Wecock, where the fight broke out between him and dad-of-one Mr Warton, 27.

The 16-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, also revealed that Bailey had been drinking heavily on April 11.

Bailey denies murder.