Gosport man denies love rival murder

Edward Vials
Edward Vials
A Ford Transit van

POLICE WARNING: £20 lock picks used to break into vans across Hampshire

Have your say

A LOVE rival was stabbed to death in Gosport on Christmas Eve by a husband after his wife confessed she loved the other man and wanted her marriage to end, a court has heard.

Marc Lindsey, 35, came to the front door and plunged a kitchen knife into Eddie Vials outside his home in Hill Park Road, Gosport, just before midnight because his wife Laura told him about her feelings and he feared the other man had been sleeping with her.

Mr Vials had come to the house despite advice not to and the single stab wound to the heart caused severe bleeding. Despite attempts to save him from Mrs Lindsey, Lindsey himself and paramedics he died on the front lawn, Winchester Crown Court heard yesterday.

Supermarket worker Lindsey, formerly from Hill Park Road, Gosport, admits killing Mr Vials, 47, on December 24 last year but denies murder.

Robert Davies, prosecuting, told the jury that there was no dispute Lindsey stabbed the other man.

He said: ‘The evening of Christmas Eve was by any view catastrophic.’

He explained there were rows in both houses as Mrs Vials was also having an affair with a man and both marriages were breaking down although Lindsey wanted to make a go of his but his wife did not.

During the heated arguments, Mrs Lindsey had sent Mr Vials a text message which read: ‘Do not come here, have told Marc I love you.’

But Mr Vials went to the house in Hill Park Road, which he knew because all four were friends, the court heard.

‘Marc Lindsey armed himself with a knife from the kitchen which he put into the back pocket of his jeans,’ Mr Davies explained.

‘He waited for Eddie to arrive.’

Mrs Vials then called Lindsey to tell him that her husband had roughed her up and raped her on three occasions in the past in what the barrister told the jury was ‘an unhelpful intervention’.

‘He (Lindsey) was heard to say, “what? He raped you. I want to kill him.” She (Mrs Vials) said that was used as a figure of speech.’

Shortly after that Mr Vials was stabbed by Lindsey, who was heard to say to police: ‘It was me - I did it’, jurors were told.

Mr Davies added: ‘Laura Lindsey phoned 999.

‘There is a harrowing phone call as she attempts to save his life and stem the flow of blood.

‘Marc Lindsey joins in to attempt to save Eddie Vials’ life.

After his arrest, Lindsey made no comment to police.

The knife was found in the kitchen.

The trial is expected to last five days.