Guitar attack father gets 30 months in jail

Man in court for assault

Have your say

A DAD-OF-ONE who left a 61-year-old man bleeding with a huge wound to his head after attacking him with a guitar has been jailed.

Kenneth Ryder suffered massive blood loss and had to spend five days in hospital after being set upon by Luke Morey.

The 26-year-old was visiting stroke survivor Mr Ryder at his flat in King Albert Street, Landport, Portsmouth, with at least one friend when the unprovoked attack happened.

Portsmouth Crown Court heard Mr Ryder did not know Morey, but thought he was a friend of his friend who had come to visit.

While at the flat Morey picked up one of Mr Ryder’s guitars and smashed it twice into the back of his head so forcefully that the instrument broke.

The group then fled, leaving Mr Ryder bleeding profusely from an 8in cut to his head. Mr Ryder was later found by a friend and the emergency services were alerted.

He was taken to hospital following the attack, which happened on September 13, 2010.

Mr Ryder has made a full recovery following his ordeal.

Morey, who lives care of Fyning Street, Landport, Portsmouth, and has learning difficulties, had denied unlawful wounding.

But a jury found him guilty of the charge following a trial at Portsmouth Crown Court.

Sentencing Morey to two-and-a-half years in jail, judge Roger Hetherington said: ‘The victim was a vulnerable man in his 60s who would have been known to you, I’m quite satisfied, as someone of vulnerability, prone to being in drink and to an extent disabled by past medical problems that he had encountered.’

Judge Hetherington added: ‘For no reason whatever, when he was defenceless and doing nothing to anyone, you wielded the guitar very forcefully so as to cause him a serious injury to the back of his head which resulted in a laceration.

‘He was then left there for a substantial period of time as you and others made your getaway.

‘It wasn’t until some time later that he was able to be attended to by paramedics, by which time the enormous loss of blood had occurred.’