Hampshire man went on the rampage after drink and drug binge

WARNED Frankie Owens
WARNED Frankie Owens
Ravelin Park

Police release man arrested over attempted rape in Portsmouth park

Have your say

A MAN went on a drink and drug-fuelled rampage which included paddling a stolen kayak while naked – days after leaving prison.

Frankie Owens, 37, was convicted of a string of offences including fraud, arson and burglary causing hundreds of pounds’ worth of damage.

On August 9 last year, Owens broke into a holiday chalet at the Mill Rythe holiday park in Hayling Island, stealing a laptop and clothes.

It was the first of 17 crimes he would carry out over the following weeks.

On the same night, Owens stole a mobile phone from a pub before breaking into Spencer’s restaurant in North Street, Emsworth.

Inside, he set fire to paper towels and switched on the gas rings of a cooker.

The next day, Owens was spotted in Emsworth harbour in a boat belonging to the harbour master. After getting it stuck in the mud, he climbed out of the boat and went over to the nearby 36 on the Quay restaurant, stealing a delivery of fish. When challenged by the restaurant owner, he became abusive and threw the fish into her car.

Confronted by another member of the public, who called the police, Owens tried setting light to the mud guard of the man’s car, before heading towards the Emsworth Sailing Club.

There he took a kayak and two paddles and was seen paddling off towards Hayling Island. Police were called and followed him in a boat where they found him naked and paddling with his hands.

Officers caught him and he was taken to Elmleigh Hospital in Havant.

But his crime spree didn’t stop there. On August 24 at 5am, Owens threw a porcelain toilet bowl through the window of a flat at The Crescent, in Hayling Island, narrowly missing the owner who was asleep in bed.

He threw a vodka bottle at a passer-by before snatching his glasses and stamping on them. On August 21, he checked into a hotel in Southsea using a false credit card.

And on September 2 he damaged a door at Elmleigh Hospital, where he was a resident until September 6 and has committed no further offences since.

Simon Privett, defending, said: ‘You can see how he is beginning to stabilise himself. It is the benefit of what Elmleigh has done for him. Things are still bad but they are getting better.’

Owens has six previous convictions for 27 offences including criminal damage and making off without payment. He had left prison on August 2, seven days before carrying out the 17 offences.

Judge Sarah Munro QC said: ‘I’m satisfied the only reason you behaved in that way is because of your abuse of alcohol and cocaine.

‘So it follows if you stay away from drinks and drugs you will stay away from court. If you come back you will be sent to prison.

Owens was sentenced to a two-year community order at Portsmouth Crown Court. He must carry out 240 hours of unpaid work and pay £2,692 compensation to his victims and £400 in costs.