Havant gran went on run from police to go to birthday party

ESCAPED Teresa Frost gave police the slip to go to a birthday party
ESCAPED Teresa Frost gave police the slip to go to a birthday party
Police Car / Incident Stock Pic (Pic by Jon Rigby) SUS-150519-172740001

UPDATE: Arrests made after suspected kidnapping attempt in Southsea

Have your say

A GRANDMOTHER who was arrested for criminal damage escaped police custody so that she could go to her granddaughter’s birthday party.

Teresa Frost was picked up by the police while she was walking one of her dogs.

The officers agreed to take her home so that she could drop the dog off before going to the police station.

But back at her house in Middle Park Way, Leigh Park, the Staffordshire bull terrier and another of her dogs started barking at the police.

One of the animals bit one officer’s boot when they tried to enter the back garden, Portsmouth Crown Court heard.

In the ensuing commotion Frost took the opportunity to make a run for it out of the front of the house so that she could go to the first birthday party in April.

She was spotted by police a couple of weeks later and arrested again.

The criminal damage charge was later dropped but the 45-year-old, who has previous convictions for shoplifting, pleaded guilty to escaping from custody.

Roderick James, defending, said: ‘The situation can best be summarised in this way; she took advantage of the situation which she hadn’t instigated in order to give the police the slip and go to her granddaughter’s birthday party.

‘It’s not a case of her deliberately setting her dogs on the police officers in order to escape.

‘In the confusion she decided, “I’m not going to stay around here anymore” and temporarily escaped and went to the birthday party.’

He added: ‘It was impulsive and foolish.

‘There was a genuine, compelling reason for her escape.’

Recorder Sarah Vaughan Jones QC handed the unemployed Frost a four-month prison sentence, suspended for a year.

She will have to wear an electronic tag and stay at home between 7pm and 7am everyday for three months.

The judge also ordered her to pay £500 in court costs at a rate of £10 a week.

Recorder Jones said: ‘When the two dogs prevented the officers from entering your property you took the opportunity to leave the house through the front and make off.

‘You have said that you acted as you did because you wanted to attend your granddaughter’s first birthday party.

‘The fact was you had been arrested and should not have escaped from custody in order to attend a social engagement.’