Hit-and-run teen victim now '˜walking unaided' and set to leave hospital

A 19-YEAR-OLD man who was flung 25 metres in the air during a hit-and-run is now walking unaided and set to leave hospital.

Monday, 8th August 2016, 9:51 am
Updated Thursday, 25th August 2016, 5:17 pm
Mikey Ford, bruised and battered - but alive Picture courtesy of Mikey's dad, Darren

Mikey Ford, 19, was knocked down in a collision with a car on the A32 in Fareham on July 8.

The incident left him in a critical condition leading to fears from the family that he would not wake up as he was placed into an induced coma.

However, just less than a month following the incident, Mikey is now walking with assistance and is all set to leave the Queen Alexandra Hospital in Cosham within the next three weeks.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

His father, Darren, 47 said: ‘It’s a big relief for us.

‘The last few weeks have been traumatic. It’s been very hard on us as you can imagine.’

Darren said that it is ‘miraculous’ that Mikey is still walking following the injury.

The teenager suffered a hairline fracture to his skull, various cuts, slurred speech, loss of a few front teeth, short term memory loss and was temporarily unable to move his left foot for a period.

However, he is since able to walk without aid following physiotherapy and his memory is getting better.

Darren, of Park Cottage Drive in Fareham said: ‘A witness said that he was flung 25 metres into the air. It’s miraculous he’s only got these injuries.

There had previously been fears that he had permanent nerve damage in his left foot which would have been a big blow as Mikey is a keen skateboarder and scooterer.

Mikey comes from a big family of 12 and had graduated from Fareham College just a few days before the incident occurred.

He harbours ambitions to go on to become a decorator as a potential career.

Darren added: ‘We still do not know about any long-term damage there will be on the brain as a result of the incident.

‘However, Mikey is very excited to leave the hospital. He still gets headaches and struggles to get words out but he’s getting there.

‘We are just happy that we are finally at the light at the end of the tunnel.’

A spokesperson for Hampshire Police said that a person had been questioned relating to the incident but no charges have been brought forward.