In the Courts - latest update

editorial image
The smashed glass in the door at Johnny Black Photography in Southsea

City MP calls for ‘clamp down’ on small business crime in open letter to council leader

Have your say

Here is our latest update on cases heard at magistrates’ courts around the area.

- Theodore Gilbert, 27, of Kimbolton Road, Copnor, admitted harassment.

He sent several abusive text messages to a woman’s mobile phone. Magistrates imposed a community order with 150 hours to be done within 12 months.

Gilbert must also pay a £60 victim surcharge, £85 costs and a £150 criminal courts charge.

Magistrates also imposed a restraining order banning him from going to two addresses and contacting the woman.

- Giedrius Zagorskis, 40, of Washington Road, Buckland, admitted going to an address he was banned from going to by a restraining order.

Magistrates jailed him for 14 days and ordered he pay a £180 criminal courts charge.

The offence was committed on May 27 in Portsmouth.

- Lewis Eshelby, 24, of Homer Close, Gosport, admitted assaulting a woman by beating her on April 4.

He also admitted damaging a mobile phone and committing an offence during a suspended prison sentence.

District Judge Anne Arnold imposed a five-month prison sentence suspended for a year.

Eshelby must pay a victim surcharge of £80 and £400 costs. The judge fined him £100 for committing the offence during a suspended sentence but imposed no separate penalty for the mobile phone damage, which was committed on the same day as the assault.

- Mariusz Curul, 31, of Havant Road, Portsmouth, admitted being drunk and disorderly.

He committed the offence in Havant Road on May 2.

Magistrates imposed a six-month conditional discharge. He must pay a £15 victim surcharge, £85 costs and a £150 courts charge.

- Maxine Anthony, 24, of Cochrane Close, Gosport, admitted assaulting a woman by beating.

Magistrates imposed a community order with a rehabilitation activity requirement with six months supervision.

She committed the offence on May 23 in Elmhurst Road, Fareham.

Anthony must pay a £50 fine, £100 compensation, a £60 victim surcharge and £150 criminal courts charge.

- Patrick Howlett, 48, of Gudge Heath Lane, admitted drink-driving.

Howlett was stopped driving in Highlands Road, Fareham, on May 20.

A test revealed he had 123 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath, more than the 35mcg limit.

Magistrates imposed a six-month prison term suspended for 12 months with 12 months supervision and 150 hours of unpaid work.

Howlett must pay a victim surcharge of £80, costs of £85 and a criminal courts charge of £150. He was banned from driving for 30 months.