In the Courts – latest update

Have your say

n Gary Smith, 42, of no fixed address, admitted stealing a hammer drill worth £89.99 from Homebase in Ocean Park, Burrfields Road, Portsmouth.

Smith was fined £30 with a £20 victim surcharge.

He was ordered to be detained in court but this was deemed served.

Smith also admitted failing to surrender to custody on January 26 but received no separate penalty.

n Joanna Watts, 37, care of Oracle Drive, Crookhorn, admitted assaulting a man by beating.

She was handed a six-month conditional discharge with a £15 victim surcharge and £120 prosecution costs to pay.

Watts committed the offence on December 10 last year in Waterlooville.

She admitted committing an offence while subject to a conditional discharge for being drunk and disorderly.

No action was taken on the breach.

n Tobias Hayes, 40, of Herne Road, Portsmouth, was found guilty of criminal damage.

He damaged a mirror on a moped in Clacton Road on September 26.

Hayes was given a 12-month conditional discharge.

He must pay £100 compensation, a £15 victim surcharge and £300 compensation.

n Lewis Elkins, 23, of Nashe Way, Fareham, admitted drink-driving.

He was stopped driving a blue Vauxhall Vectra in Park Road, Gosport, on January 16.

A test showed he had 94 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath, more than twice the 35mg legal limit.

He was given a community order and banned from driving for two years.

He must complete a 14-day drink-impaired drivers programme and 15 days of rehabilitation activities.

Elkins must pay a £60 victim surcharge and £85 prosecution costs.

He also admitted criminal damage, assault by beating and using threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour with intent to cause the person to believe immediate unlawful violence would be used against them.

He must also pay a £200 fine for the assault and £100 compensation for the public order offence.

n Robert Yearwood, 23, of West Street, Havant, admitted criminal damage.

He damaged a double-glazed window worth £100 at Dryden Close in Fareham on January 16.

He must pay £100 compensation.

Yearwood also admitted assaulting a police constable in the execution of his duty on January 20 in Speedfields Park, Fareham.

He must pay £50 compensation for this offence.