In the Courts – latest update

Portsmouth Magistrates' Court
Portsmouth Magistrates' Court
Have your say

n Mark Betteridge, 48, of Beresford Road, North End, admitted an assault by beating against a woman on June 12 in Sharps Road, Havant.

He received a community order with 20 days of rehabilitation activities and 80 hours unpaid work.

A restraining order bans him from contacting the victim for a year.

Betteridge must pay £100 compensation, an £85 victim surcharge and £85 prosecution costs.

n Piotr Bader, 99, of 26, of no fixed address, admitted theft of items worth £239.88 from Asda in Havant on August 3.

Bader was fined £120 with a £30 victim surcharge.

Magistrates ordered him to be detained in court but this was deemed served due to time spent in custody.

n Louie Williams, 37, of Ashurst Road, Wymering, admitted assault by beating against a man on April 16 in Cosham.

Magistrates imposed a community order with 30 days of rehabilitation activity requirements.

Williams was fined £50 with an £85 victim surcharge and £85 prosecution costs.

No compensation was ordered to avoid making the situation worse.

n Saydur Rahman, 35, of Brompton Road, Southsea, admitted driving without insurance between junction 9 and 11 of the M27 on November 11 last year.

He was fined £295 but was not banned from driving.

Magistrates found he had been misled into thinking the car he was driving was insured and thought the wording of his policy meant he was covered.

Rahman must pay a £29 victim surcharge and £85 prosecution costs.

n Christopher Sainsbury, 29, of Sissinghurst Road, Fareham, admitted using threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour causing fear of or provoking violence.

He was violent in an incident involving three police officers. It happened in Cranleigh Road, Fareham, on March 29.

Magistrates imposed an 18-week prison sentence suspended for 12 months.

Sainsbury must pay an £80 victim surcharge and £120 prosecution costs.

n Ernest Claridge, 26, of Cardiff Road, North End, admitted drink-driving in Crasswell Street, Portsmouth, on April 9.

He was caught driving a Subaru Impreza.

A test revealed he had 68 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath, nearly double the 35mcg legal limit.

He was fined £180 and banned from driving for 22 months.

Claridge also admitted driving without a licence and without insurance but received no separate penalty.

He must pay a £30 victim surcharge and £275 prosecution costs.