Innocent victim glassed by mistake in Portsmouth nightclub row

The court heard the woman was caught in the crossfire as glasses were thrown in the nightclub
The court heard the woman was caught in the crossfire as glasses were thrown in the nightclub

Teens cause pub damage

Have your say

A RECKLESS attacker left an innocent bystander needing hospital treatment after glassing her by mistake during a nightclub brawl.

The 22-year-old victim was out at Tiger Tiger in Gunwharf Quays when she was caught in the crossfire of a row between a group involving Alan Gale and another group of men.

She has been left with a scar to the left-hand side of her chest after being hit by a glass thrown by Gale that went astray.

Now Gale, 32, has been given a four-month suspended sentence and ordered to pay £250 compensation after he admitted assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Portsmouth Crown Court heard that Gale had gone to Tiger Tiger with his partner for a birthday celebration.

Prosecutor Martyn Booth said there was ‘friction’ between his group and a group of men in a nearby booth.

Mr Booth said: ‘[The victims’] group was nothing to do with this, she was at the bar buying drinks for herself and her friends.

‘The violence escalated into the throwing of glasses. It’s accepted that members of the large group of males were throwing glasses at the defendant’s group and the defendant in turn responded by throwing glasses in a fairly random fashion.’

Then a glass Gale threw went astray and hit the victim on her shoulder.

Mr Booth added: ‘Whilst the defendant deliberately threw the glass that caused this injury, ultimately it is accepted that that decision was reckless in so far as the injury being caused was concerned.

‘The consequences were to [the victim] quite serious. There was a cut that was caused to her left chest area that was glued in the circumstances, she couldn’t have stitches because she had an aversion to needles, and the resulting scar has certain cosmetic effects and consequences to her, being a lady of that particular age.’

The court heard in Gale’s defence that he tried to stop what was happening before the situation escalated, and at one stage suggested the group leave the premises and tried to get help from the door staff.

Gale, who has convictions for 69 previous crimes, left the scene on November 23.

However he later attended Chichester police station voluntarily.

He pleaded guilty to breaching a community order imposed less than a month before the glassing incident.

Gale, of Crockhurst Hill, Worthing, West Sussex, was given a curfew ordering him not to leave his home between 7pm and 7am for three months.

He was told to pay £80 to a fund for victims of crime.