Jail for 11 years for man who stabbed girlfriend after he throttled her

Adam Buxton
Adam Buxton
Police arrested the man in Watford yesterday

Urgent appeal for missing man from Hayling Island

Have your say

VIOLENT Adam Buxton stabbed his girlfriend five times before fleeing the scene to score drugs, a court heard.

The 33-year-old repeatedly knifed his then partner Karyn Wallis after throttling her at his home.

Portsmouth Crown Court heard he then called his mum before ringing a drug dealer and leaving the bedsit to go and score.

He ignored Miss Wallis’ pleas for help, taking his and her mobile phones with him so she could not raise the alarm.

Now Buxton has been jailed for 11 years with an extended licence period of five years after he admitted grievous bodily harm with intent.

He was initially charged with attempted murder but that was later reduced.

Buxton also received an indefinite restraining order.

The court heard the pair had met when she was assigned as his probation officer to help him deal with his drug habit.

They had moved to Portsmouth to continue the relationship but had had arguments.

Four months before he stabbed Miss Wallis, Buxton, who has convictions for 53 previous crimes, received a community order for assaulting her.

On the night of the attack, the pair had fallen out over him spending money she had given him for a haircut on alcohol.

Buxton also told Miss Wallis he had been out shoplifting, the court heard.

The pair went to The Clarence pub in London Road, North End, where he had about four drinks and she had about six, before returning home.

The court heard Miss Wallis was sitting on the bed when he began throttling her so hard that she had to punch at, scratch and pinch him, ending up on the floor.

Kerry Maylin, prosecuting, said: ‘Rather than stop the violence Mr Buxton, deliberately went to the kitchen, he armed himself with a knife he had and stabbed Karyn Wallis as she lay curled up on the floor.

‘She told the police in her interview that she begged him to phone for an ambulance but he didn’t.

‘He phoned his mother. He appeared upset on the phone and from what Karyn could hear, saying things along the lines of ‘I can’t believe I’ve done this’.

Miss Maylin added: ‘What Mr Buxton then did was phone a drug dealer to go and purchase drugs. He told Karyn: ‘I’m going to go and score, you can stay here.’

The court heard he left the scene in a taxi at about 11pm on December 27 last year with their mobile phones. There was no landline in the property.

After he had left, Miss Wallis managed to get to the home of a nearby neighbour who raised the alarm.

Miss Wallis was taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital in Cosham where she had surgery and received 14 units of blood.

The deepest wound she suffered was in her abdomen and was 8-10cm.

Miss Wallis suffered internal bruising, her bowel was perforated and she could suffer from recurrent blockages in her bowel.

In his defence, the court heard Buxton, of Stubbington Avenue, North End, Portsmouth, has shown some remorse and that he suffers from diabetes which can cause him to get angry when his blood sugar is low.

He had come back into contact with dealers and drugs on moving to Portsmouth, and had been drinking that night.

Buxton’s defence said he had not phoned his mother but had phoned his sister at about the time of the attack.

A Hampshire Constabulary spokesman said: ‘This was a particularly challenging investigation for detectives who overcame an obstructive suspect who refused to accept the life-threatening consequences of his actions for the young woman he attacked.

‘Adam Buxton did not co-operate when arrested.

‘However, the skills and perseverance of the Hampshire Major Investigation Team ensured evidence was captured promptly for this court case.’