Jail for hit and run man who ran over Portsmouth police officer

Malicious letters detailing allegations against man being sent to homes in Portsmouth

Have your say

A MAN has been sent to prison after he admitted running over a police officer.

Freddie Field knocked PC Alison Zachs off her pushbike in Sedgley Close in Southsea on May 24 last year, dragging her and her bike along the floor.

The 28-year-old from London Road in Portsmouth admitted actual bodily harm, driving while disqualified and dangerous driving.

PC Zachs was on patrol and had followed Field’s car to warn him to slow down amid concerns he was driving too fast in a residential area.

But when he saw a police officer was approaching him, he drove off and fled the scene, knocking PC Zachs off her bike, which became caught up in the car.

Field was arrested following an appeal for information in The News.

PC Zachs received hospital treatment for her injuries which were not life-threatening.

In a victim statement read out in court, she said: ‘This ordeal at the hands of this person will remain with me for the rest of my life and serve as a constant reminder for doing my job and doing what I thought was right.

‘The actions of the driver have left me with a dark spot on the ability to do my job.’

Sentencing him, the judge Recorder Nigel Pascoe QC said: ‘What you did was to drive towards a police officer doing her duty.

‘The police officer put her bike in the road twice. You reversed, you drove towards her and you hit her.

‘Her bike which had been between her and your vehicle was taken along the road and for a short distance, so was she.

‘She faced therefore a terrifying ordeal which she has described in moving language in her victim statement.’

He added: ‘I want to commend the officer for her courage, her professionalism and her ability to continue with her job after a terrifying ordeal.’

Field was sent to prison for a total of 23 months – some of which he has already served.

He also admitted a separate public order offence of using threatening or abusive words or behaviour at the Etap Hotel in Fratton Way, Portsmouth, on April 21 last year.

For that, he was sentenced to three months, which he will serve at the same time.

In a statement released last night, PC Zachs said: ‘I would like to thank everyone in the emergency services and within the local community who helped me on the night I was injured in Sedgley Close.

‘I am most grateful to all my colleagues who have been so caring and supportive since I returned to work.

‘I also feel it’s important to acknowledge the amount of effort, dedication and persistence shown by CID in tracking, arresting and charging Freddie Field. Offenders like him cannot escape and will be brought before the courts to face justice.’