Jail for Waterlooville man who became obsessed with his neighbour

Flurry of suspected fraudsters targeting residents in Gosport

Have your say

A LONELY man who was obsessed with his next-door neighbour has been jailed after harassing her and breaking into her home.

Adam Maskell became infatuated with 65-year-old Marion Moore after she took pity on him when he split up with his partner.

The 33-year-old thought she liked him when in fact she was just trying to help, Portsmouth Magistrates’ Court heard.

Maskell, who was staying with his father in Napier Road, Waterlooville, broke into her house and stole food and drink.

He also broke into her shed and slept in it. Throughout June he repeatedly turned up at Miss Moore’s home, leaving her living in fear.

Prosecutor Graham Heath said: ‘He seems to be somewhat fixated with this lady who was effectively trying to help him. His partner got rid of him and Miss Moore tried to help him.

‘This lady has felt the need to move out of her home for a period of time.’

Mr Heath said the police feared that Maskell, having nowhere else to live, would return to his father’s house.

But Kate Watts, defending, urged the court not to jail him and said he would live in a hostel.

She said: ‘He reached a low point in his life at this time.

‘His father has turned his back on him. He has got no family support and clearly he completely misjudged the situation with this lady which he does feel guilty about, there is remorse. It’s very clear to the defendant now that the contact is not wanted.’

She said Maskell had a drink problem but was determined to turn his life around.

‘He is focused and he is motivated,’ she said.

Maskell, of no fixed address, admitted burglary, criminal damage and harassment.

District Judge Anthony Calloway said: ‘You have a most appalling, 45 previous court appearances for all sorts of offences.

‘These are serious offences in themselves.’

The judge initially handed Maskell a five-month prison sentence suspended for a year.

Mr Calloway made a restraining order, preventing Maskell from contacting Miss Moore or going to her home.

But just two days after the order was made Maskell went back round to her home.

He was brought back before the court and jailed for four months and a week after admitting breaching the order.