THERE is ‘no independent evidence’ that proves Rolf Harris was at an event where he allegedly groped a woman, a court has heard.
Jurors at Southwark Crown Court were told that despite searches of The News’ newspaper archives, no trace of the entertainer appearing at a community centre near Portsmouth in 1969 could be found.
The alleged victim claimed Harris, 84, touched her intimately when she was seven or eight after she queued to get his autograph at a community centre near Portsmouth in 1969.
Despite searches of local newspaper archives, council records and letter drops appealing for witnesses, no confirmation could be found that Harris had been there.
This included looking at copies of The News between January 1967 and May 1974.
When the allegation was put to Harris, he told police: ‘I would simply never touch a child inappropriately.’
As reported, the artist is accused of 12 counts of indecent assault on four alleged victims between 1968 and 1986, all of which he denies.
Another alleged victim, then 14, claims Harris, groped her bottom outside a Celebrity It’s a Knock Out event in Cambridge.
Defending, Sonia Woodley QC told senior investigating officer Gary Pankhurst: ‘There is no independent evidence of any kind to put Mr Harris in Cambridge in the year of 1975.’
The jury was sent home until Tuesday, when Harris’s defence is set to begin.