Knifeman had drunk two bottles of vodka

Robert Crow
Robert Crow
Have your say

A MAN has been jailed for holding a knife to the throat of his girlfriend after drinking two bottles of vodka and eight cans of lager.

Robert Crow was living at his partner’s home in Salt Meat Lane, Gosport, at the time.

Portsmouth Crown Court heard the 30-year-old drank the vodka and Stella in two and a half hours before putting the terrified woman through the ordeal.

Jailing Crow for 12 months for affray, Recorder Robert Pawson said: ‘That would do for most people.’

Prosecutor Tammy Mears told the court Crow had been in a ‘volatile’ relationship with his partner for three months prior to the incident.

Crow’s girlfriend’s ex-boyfriend was living at the address with his new girlfriend, the court heard.

Ms Mears said: ‘Since 7pm he had consumed two bottles of vodka and eight cans of Stella lager in two and a half hours.

‘He then threw the empty bottle of vodka towards her which thankfully missed.

‘She asked him to leave, and he refused.

‘She decided to take herself out of the situation, put herself in the bath and was in there for about an hour.

‘However a witness describes that Crow had been pacing backwards and forwards outside.’

Ms Mears added Crow had been heard using abusive words towards her.

She added: ‘He’s gone to the kitchen and taken a large kitchen knife and gone back into the bathroom.

‘She describes threats being made – “if anyone comes... I’m going to stab them”. A witness describes the knife being put towards the victim’s face.’

Crow then left and apologised saying he could ‘sort things out’. Police were called and Tasers were shown to him to calm him down.

After resisting arrest he eventually went with police.

In police interview he said he ‘couldn’t believe he acted like that but accepted the evidence,’ Ms Mears said.

Crow suffered a cut to his own arm during the fracas.

Robert Forrest, defending, said Crow’s offending was linked to problems in his childhood.

Crow, of no fixed address, admitted breaching a suspended sentence he was given previously.

Mr Pawson said: ‘Anything could’ve happened, you held a knife to a woman’s throat.’

Crown must also pay a £900 criminal courts charge.